Friday, September 23, 2011

Vegetable Vote Results

 
Yesterday I made a list of five vegetables and asked people to vote for their favorite one on the list.  Today we took the results and made a tally chart and a bar graph.  My tally chart showed that there were 18 total votes.





Mom helped me draw the axis and I learned about picking a scale.  We labeled the scale with units.  The unit I used was votes.  My scale was two squares for one vote.  Looking the the chart shows me which vegetables of the ones I asked about are the favorites.  The most popular vegetables on the list are potatoes and tomatoes.  The least popular are celery and radishes


I also learned how to put the data in a spreadsheet and use that to make a pie chart.  It gives the same information but shows it in a different way.  It lets you see how many votes a vegetable got in relation to how many votes were cast in total.








This project helped me with my math and spelling because we used words with consonant blends that I am working on right now.

4 comments:

Dad said...

This is excellent work, Bobo. Did you figure out why charts and graphs are so important? Was the work it took to make them worth it? Which one is your favorite and why?

Stasia said...

I love it! Wish I had voted. Which graph do you think is easier to understand?

Aunt Arch said...

If you were opening a restaurant and wanted to sell the most vegetables, which ones would you pick? I would pick beets, but my restaurant might be short lived.

Jonathan said...

Dad-I think it was easy to make so it was definitely worth it. I found out about pie charts. I didn't know about them before. I also didn't know about scales before this. My favorite graph was the pie chart because it shows you how many votes it got out of the total votes.

Stasia-I think the pie chart is the easiest to understand because I get to see how much it is out of the whole "pie".

Aunt Arch-I would pick potatoes and tomatoes, according to my graph. I think I would make the most money that way and would stay in business for a year and a half on just those vegetables.